» Short-Term Volunteer Program
Travel – Share - Learn – Give – Make a Difference
For individuals with limited time or who want to volunteer while traveling through Nicaragua, we offer the Short-Term Volunteer Program. This is an excellent way for dedicated individuals to support a community development and education program while immersing themselves in Nicaraguan culture and the Spanish language.
This program is open to all individuals, regardless of age, ability, or experience. Short- term work lasts from one to two weeks. Volunteers usually work three to five half days per week. This program can be combined, at an additional cost, with Spanish language classes. Volunteers stay with families to enhance the cultural experience.
Where will you work and what can you do?
All volunteers work with our Kid’s Club in a social housing project in Granada. Most of the families in this community live in extreme poverty and many young people face situations of violence, abuse, and limited educational opportunities. The purpose of our Kid’s Club is to take children out of high risk situations and give them new opportunities and a place to learn, play, and just
There are about 15 kids who regularly attend the Kid’s Club. They range in age from eight to 15. Children who attend on are regular basis and receive good grades, receive annual scholarships to help promote their education and end the cycle of poverty. The scholarship program is funded by volunteer placement fees.
Volunteers can contribute many things to our Kid’s Club, depending upon their interests and skills. Volunteer work with the Kid’s Club can include:
- Tutoring at our after school library
- Sports – Frisbee, soccer, baseball, karate
- Arts and crafts
- Beach clean ups
- And many more – if you have a skill, hobby or interest that you can share with these children we would love to have you!
<< BACK TO TOP
We are a professional organization dedicated to promoting sustainable social, economic, and environmental development in Nicaragua. Through our Short Term Volunteer program, we strive to (1) assist motivated individuals find rewarding and mutually beneficial volunteer opportunities and to (2) support children living in high risk situations and offer them opportunities to go to school and complete their education.
Viva Nicaragua! is committed to ensuring a positive and rewarding experience for both the volunteer and the host organization. To guarantee this, our role extends beyond the actual volunteer placement to providing many additional services and support.
We provide the following services to our volunteers:
- Volunteer placement with the Kid’s Club and a supervised project that combines your skills with the needs of the community.
- Monetary and material donations given to the Kid’s Club and scholarship program.
- Supervision and guidance throughout the volunteer program.
- Resolution of any problems that may arise during the volunteer program.
- Assistance in designing programs, developing projects, making necessary contacts, and acquiring needed supplies/materials.
In addition, we provide the following logistical support:
- Pre and post arrival orientation.
- Family placement
- Airport pick-up
- Orientation/safety information
- Weekend/after program travel assistance.
- Emergency assistance
- Staff available 24-hours a day to meet any need
- Re-entry adjustment information
<< BACK TO TOP
•Volunteers must be at least 18 years old unless accompanied by an adult.
•The only additional requirement is that you are an independent and motivated individual, dedicated to making a difference!
Viva Nicaragua! is more than a placement organization. We operate our own development projects and are committed to supporting social justice and sustainable development efforts. When you volunteer with us, you not only support development efforts and education with your time and energy, but also provide valuable economic assistance.
Placement fees cover:
- Lodging (with family) and 3 meals a day
- Volunteer placement
- An on-site coordinator available to meet any need
- Airport pickup
- 24- hour emergency assistance
- Donation to the Kid’s Club and scholarship program
Not included in program costs: airfare, cell phone rental, meals and laundry when staying in a hotel/hostel, additional travel expenses, and departure taxes.
Why pay to volunteer?
Volunteer with family stay (includes 3 meals a day) and airport pick-up
1 week $345
2 weeks $495
Spanish classes can be provided at an additional cost.
Fees must be paid in full upon arrival.
Program fees are non-refundable.
Discounts available for groups of three or more.
Contact us for more information!
<< BACK TO TOP
1) Download and submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
2) After receiving your application, we will send you a confirmation letter and deposit request.
3) Upon receipt of your signed application and deposit, we will confirm your placement and send you a Volunteer Manual with important country and program information.
4) Complete payment is due on or before your program start date.
5) There will be no refunds after the program has begun. In the event of a personal emergency, we will review the situation and may issue a partial refund.
WHICH PROGRAM IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Questions? Contact us!
<< BACK TO TOP